Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Organ Donation - the Gift of Life!

This past Saturday Mom (and her family) was invited to the Annual Gift of Life Picnic that Tulane gives every year for its living organ donors and recipients.
















Let me back up a little bit.  To those of you that may not know, my mom donated one of her kidneys to a friend (Mark Austin) this past January.  Mark is married and has a 7 year old little girl.  Kidney disease runs in his family and he has even lost some family members because of it.  When mom heard his story, she knew instantly that she would be the one to donate.  She really felt led by God to do this.  I thought she was NUTS!!  Yeah, I said it.  I mean seriously, let them cut you open and take out part of you for someone you're not even related to?  I'm very protective of my mom.  We've been through a lot together and I didn't want her to do anything that might take her away from me.  Plus, I was thinking what if I need a kidney one day?  Yes, I was being selfish.  And scared!  But I realized she was going to do this no matter what, so we rallied around her and prayed - a lot!!  The surgery was successfull although hard on her.  Mark is doing well now.  He's had a few setbacks, but overall feels so much better than he did and the kidney is doing great.  You can keep up with Mark here:  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/markaustin

Ok - back to the picnic!  It was so nice.  They had lots of food and cake!
















They also had inflatables and face paiting for the kids and a costume contest (also for the kids). 
















The doctors and nurses from the transplant unit were there to help celebrate.  This is mom and her surgeon Dr. Paramesh:
















They had a ceremony to honor the donors.  They gave them each a beautiful painting by a local artist.  They also got to speak and tell about their experiences and how their recipient was doing.































Sometimes the stories were happy, like mom's.  But sometimes they were sad.  One lady had just lost her brother that she had donated a kidney to five years ago.  But, as she said, that is five extra years they got to spend time with him.  What a gift!

After the ceremony they held the costume contest, and would you believe that a certain Princess Tinkerbell Addison won 3rd place!!  And a $25 visa giftcard :)  She IS pretty darn cute....













They also had a raffle where the proceeds benefits other donors and recipients.  Would you believe that my mom won an X-Box?  Everyone said we had the lucky table!  And the announcer did give the disclaimer, that no you don't get an X-Box just for donating a kidney.  But think of what you do give - the gift of life!!  I'm so proud of you mom.  You are a true hero!

Here's some more shots of Tinkerbell with Nana and Paw Paw.
























We plan on making this a yearly event for our family.  We hope the Austins can be there next year too!  Want to comment on this post?  Feel free!!  Don't know how?  Scroll down to read the comment tutorial in the previous post.

6 comments:

  1. Love this, it brought tears to my eyes!I know you are so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry! I remember when you mom did this, but just thinking of it again...she is so self-less and amazing! Addison looked SO adorable (as per usual) and yay for winning not one but two prizes for the day! Looks like a really neat event and what a special thing to get to be a part of each year. *LOVE*

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome Carley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....that's amazing! You must be so proud of her! She is so beautiful, and you look so much like her! Addison looks perfect in her Princess Tinkerbell Addison costume!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom is such an inspiration!!! Glad ya'll had a wonderful celebration of her awesome selfless gift!!

    Princess Tinkerbell Addison is a cutie, I think she should've won 1st place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow--what an amazing gift! That is really selfless! I'd feel the same way you were feeling I think, but then to see her well afterwards and know what a gift she gave--I know you are super proud of her!

    ReplyDelete